While Generac is always evolving, our commitment to local and distant communities remains steadfast. Throughout the company's history, we've been dedicated to helping those in need, both in our day-to-day roles and in our efforts to give back.
This commitment is our responsibility, pride, and passion. We create products that support people and that philosophy flows into all we do. A career at Generac means contributing your time and skills to create something that has a bigger impact and the potential to change the industry.
The Mechanical Engineer II is responsible for providing engineering input to the product development projects assigned to him/her including interfacing with the cross functional team consisting of engineering, operations (industrial engineering, production, and material procurement, sourcing) quality, service, and marketing.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Designs, validates, and brings new products to market.
- Provide new product development in the Industrial, Commercial, Residential, and/or Retail generator or Power Tools product area including:
- Creating and maintaining CAD models, drawings, and BOMs
- Supporting product development plans (schedule, product cost, meeting design inputs)
- Interfacing with internal company personnel
- Provide technical support for assigned projects
- Specifies precise new product functional requirements; designs, tests, and integrates moderately complex components to produce final designs; and evaluates the design's overall effectiveness, cost (including cost/benefit analysis), reliability (risk analysis), and safety.
- Designs, develops, executes, and evaluates fitness-for-use testing, product specifications, and process validation plans for a variety of standard products and/or components; creates and reviews material part specifications and bill of materials.
- Collaborates with internal manufacturing partners, contract manufacturers, designers, and product specialists to optimize more complex designs for manufacturability.
- Utilizes CAD (Computer Aided Design) or CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) systems to model new designs and produce detailed engineering drawings.
- Develops less experienced engineering.
- Act as SAP Super User within functional area as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline
- 2 or more years of relevant work experience
- Design experience with a variety of materials (plastics, alumni castings, sheet metal, etc) and basic knowledge of material specs and use
- High volume production support
- Experience in new product design and development
- Experience conducting analysis using FEA, CFD, etc.
- Experience with 3D modeling such as Creo or SolidWorks
- Experience with SAP or equivalent ERP
Knowledge & Skills:
- Ability to perform detail orientated work with a high degree of accuracy
- Demonstrated written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to translate technical information to all audiences
- Able to solve moderate to complex engineering problems
- Good decision-making skills
- Technical skills to include 3D modeling (ProE or SoldWorks)
- MS Excel, MS Word
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear; and use hands to manipulate objects or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. On occasion the incumbent may be required to stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders. The employee must occasionally lift up to 25 pounds. Specific conditions of this job are typical of frequent and continuous computer-based work requiring periods of sitting, close vision and ability to adjust focus. Occasional travel.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.