JOB DESCRIPTION - DIRECTOR OF SOCIAL SERVICES
Department : Social Services
Reports to : Administrator
Position Summary :
The Director of Social Services manages the Social Services Department, which provides for the psychosocial needs of each resident.
Job Requirements :
1. Master's Degree in Social Work with state certification as an LMSW.
1. A minimum of five years experience in the human service field working with geriatric clients on long term care needs.
2. A minimum of three years of supervisory experience with bachelor's and master's level social workers.
3. Must possess familiarity with the needs of senior adults, including developmental tasks of aging, caregiver issues, and palliative care.
4. Position requires an understanding of the impact on residents of factors such as substance abuse, trauma, chronic mental illness, grief, loss, dementia, and depression. Should have an awareness of the spiritual and social needs of residents.
Psychosocial assessment, short term counseling, professional supervision, peer training, and group facilitation skills. Should possess skills in program development, budget oversight, and public presentation. Must possess the ability to manage multiple priorities and respond to the needs of various interests, including residents, families, staff members, administration/facility, and overseeing agencies. Strong familiarity with State and federal nursing home and assisted living regulations and NYS Social Services law. Expertise writing care plans in residents/patients medical charts. Experience effectively working with families and responsible parties of residents/patients.
Supervisory Responsibilities :
Responsible for the supervision of all department staff members, including Social
Workers, Chaplain, and Administrative Support.
Essential Functions of the Job:
1. Ensures that the social, emotional, and spiritual needs of residents are being met by providing adequate staff supervision and the identification of training needs.
2. Develops and oversees the department's annual budget.
3. Recommends and implements policy revisions as needed to ensure program effectiveness and compliance.
4. Participates as a member of the interdisciplinary care and management team.
5. Provides leadership and assists in the development of Behavioral Care Plans.
6. Develops and implements interdisciplinary collaborative programs to meet the social and emotional needs of residents and family members.
7. Provides short term, supportive counseling to residents undergoing acute emotional distress.
8. Ensures departmental compliance with regulations of overseeing agencies, including the DOH, CMS, and the NYS Department of Education (professional licensure).
9. Ensures department compliance with HIPAA regulations.
10. Responsible for the interviewing, hiring, supervision, disciplinary action, and termination of department employees, as needed.
11. Oversees the appropriate transfer or discharge of residents/patients when required.
12. Interacts with prospective new residents and their family members to provide information and offer tours of the facility.
13. Provides in-service training programs on areas of psychosocial needs of residents for the department, facility, new staff orientation, and CNA trainees.
14. Directs the Resident Council and Family Council.
15. Conducts annual surveys to assess resident and family satisfaction.
16. Provides support and advocacy to residents and families, assisting them in handling grievances, and providing information about available supportive services.
17. Provides Administrator with frequent updates and various reports.
18. Conducts audits on documentation related to Social Services.
19. Participates in various committees including, but not limited to QI, Safety and
20. Participates in DOH survey preparedness and write plans of correction.
21. Provides a high degree of professionalism and customer service excellence. Lead by example.
22. Special projects as assigned.
Additional Job Duties :
Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Equipment to Be Used :
Computer/laptop, printer, fax machine, multi-function telephone, numeric pager, postage meter, and photocopier.
Physical and Mental Requirements :
Must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing, commensurate with a master's level education. Must be comfortable communicating individually and in small and large groups. Must be able to hear alarms and intercom pages. Must be able to ascend and descend two flights of stairs. Must be able to interpret moderately complex information, and to understand and work with moderately advanced math calculations.
Working Conditions :
Job requires work in the office setting and on the units and with prospective residents and families. Tour families and/or prospective residents. Occasional travel and weekend work may be required.
This job description does _not_ constitute a contract for employment.
Employee Signature Date
Job Type: Full-time
Flexible spending account
Paid time off
8 hour shift
Supervising experience: 1 year (Preferred)
Program development: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location